Monday, November 18, 2013

Day #19 - 30 Days of Thanksgiving

Today, I'm giving thanks for music. The gift of song and music plays a large role of influence in our lives and is mentioned often throughout scripture. We have songs recorded in the Bible as individuals, awed by God's presence or His word of promise or blessing, break out in songs of praise. In scripture you will find all kinds of songs referred to. There are songs of mourning, praise, joy, worship, thanksgiving, victory, and wedding songs as well. Paul and Silas were in a Philippian jail when, as they prayed in the midnight darkness, they began to sing hymns, leading to an earthquake opening cell doors, and ultimately to the salvation of the jailer and his family. Job, a man who certainly knew something about dark nights in life, referred to God as the One "who gives songs in the night." As we look with John into the realm of heaven, there is singing before the throne of God and through the halls of heaven. We are told to sing and that the earth itself is to sing of the Lord.

Psalm 96:1-2 (ESV)  Oh sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth! Sing to the LORD, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day.

As we give thanks for God's goodness to us, I hope your heart will be filled with songs of thanksgiving.

Psalm 28:7 (ESV)  The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.

What song are you singing today?

Pastor Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment