Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Day #14 - 30 Days of Thanksgiving

Give thanks today for the fact that God has blessed you with safety, shelter, and resources that much of the world cannot imagine. And, He has blessed you with the opportunity to share those gifts and provisions with others.

As I watched the latest account of the devastation in the Philippines, my heart broke as I saw adults and children of all ages crying out for help. They have been days without shelter or food. Thousands have died and multiple thousands have lost everything material as they desperately cling to life. And as I watched, I thanked God that, as a Southern Baptist, I knew we have volunteers, missionaries, and relief workers on the ground and many more waiting for a clear pathway into the area for them and for the food and supplies they bring. Jesus said...

Matthew 25:35-40 (ESV)  35  "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36  I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me." 37  Then the righteous will answer him, saying, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38  And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39  And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?" 40  And the King will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."

The Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Agency is the 3rd largest relief agency in the world, just behind the Red Cross and Salvation Army. You won't hear much about that on the news, but we respond because we love those in distress and the One who has told us to give, go and serve. Every time you place your tithe or gift in the offering, a portion of that goes to support our work around the world in disaster and hunger relief. You can also give additional support for crucial needs such as the one
faced in the Philippines. You may donate in one of several ways...

Give through AMBC and mark your gift as "disaster relief". We will send the total amount to the North American Mission Board Disaster Relief office.
You may also give online at: www.namb.net/disaster-relief-donations/ 
Or, call 1-866-407-6262 (Our North American Mission Board)
You may also mail a contribution to:
     NAMB, P.O. Box 116543, Atlanta, GA. 30368-6543 and mark your check as "Disaster Relief"
100% of all gifts go directly to relief needs. No administrative fees or staff support is ever taken from gifts for our missions or relief ministry agencies.

Would you pause today to thank God for the home and bed you slept in last night, the food and clothing you have today, and the resources you have to share with those in need? And as you do so, ask Him if you should give something today for those who are in such crisis.

Pastor Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment